Thursday, June 15, 2006

Set Your Games Free

I'll start by acknowledging I've been mentioning games I've not yet added to the list. I'm redesigning the layout to be tri-columnar - 3 columns - so they are going into that design and not the current one. The new design should make browsing the list even easier.



I'm busy putting together a special on game engines. So for today I'll just make a note inspired by the fate of Parsec in the hope it will encourage freeware developers to publish their games under a proper open source license.



It is a lesson for all freeware developers to heed; just because you have glorious plans and motivation now, know that the future is known to no-one. It is as easy to lose the desire as it was to initially dream. By keeping your project closed you exclude the world from it's development. Should life take you in another direction nobody will be there to pick up your project. Your efforts will be wasted and that is a tragedy only the Freedom of software can avoid.



Do you have any more freeware come rotware stories to share?

3 comments:

Onyros said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I like this blog. Well-thought and well written, which is a difficult thing to find these days, especially on the web.

Keep up the great effort, it surely is appreciated.

I'm a sucker for good freeware games, I'll be making a few suggestions later on, games you can check out or reviews I can line up and propose.

Keep on gamin' ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with onyros. Keep up the good work!

Charlie said...

Thanks guys. You almost brought a tear to my eye - this laptop is hot.

Ok, ok, I'll give up the comedy and stick with the game stuff. ;-)

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.